KUALA KANGSAR
1. Istana Hulu
Architect:
Style:
Location: Bukit Chandan
Istana Hulu or Istana Kota is located at Bukit Chandan, not very far from Masjid Ubudiah. This
palace belongs to Sultan Idris Mursyidul Azam Syah (the 26th Sultan of Perak) (1887-1916).
Construction began in 1898 and completed in 1903. In 1916, Sultan Abdul Jalil, the Prince of  Sultan
Idris Mursyidul Azam Syah lived in this palace. After the death of Sultan Abdul Jalil in 1918, this
palace was then inhabited by his son Sultan Yusuf Izzuddin Syah, the 32nd Sultan of Perak
(1948-1963). In 1954, this palace was owned by the Education Ministry, subsequently in 1957 this
palace was converted into a school and known as Sekolah Kebangsaan Istana Kota. In 1970, the
name of the school was changed to Sekolah Raja Perempuan Mazwin, taking the name of the then
D.Y.M.M Raja Perempuan Perak, Raja Mazwin bt. Raja Ariff.
14
2. Istana Kenangan
“ Istana Kenangan is also known as Istana Lembah and
Istana Tapah. Originally, it was built as a temporary
Shah (Marhum Kadasallah), while awaiting the
completion of Istana Iskandariah. The building has
now been converted into the Perak Royal Museum
that exhibits the history of the monarchy and houses
the heritage of the Perak State. Visitors have the
opportunity to view the personal collections of the
sultans who once govern the state of Perak.
Furthermore photograph collections of members of
the royal families of the past are kept in the museum.

This building was built in 1926, and is considered an
achievement, and unique in its local architecture for
its design and fine built as well as construction which
was without the employment of a single nail. The plan
or the view from the top of the building shows the
shape of a sword in its scabbard. The handle of the
sword is where the Sultan’s bed chamber is located.
The scabbard is the Balai Rong Seri of the Istana.
Although small in size, it possesses a beautiful Sultan
Throne (Singgahsana). The façade of the walls is made
of diamond shaped plaits (kelarai), while the
structure of the roof is said to inherit the combined
styles of the five ridges (perabung lima) and the ridge
of a row of banana (perabung pisang sesikat). Its
original roof was made of wooden planks.”
1

Year Built: 1926
Architect:
Style:
Location: Bukit Chandan
3. Msjid Ubudiah
“ ‘Ubudiah’ means ‘to surrender’ oneself to Allah the Almighty.
In 1911, while convalescing in Port Dickson from an illness, Sultan Idris Murshidul ‘adzam Shah, the 28th Sultan of Perak,
made a vow to build a mosque at Bukit Chandan Kuala Kangsar should he receover.

After recuperating and upon his return to Kuala Kangsar, His Royal Highness instructed Colonel Huxley of the Public
Works Department, Kuala Lumpur to prepare a design for the mosque. Mr Hubback, the architect subsequently
appointed for the job, adopted Moorish architecture in his design and Mr Caulfield, the Perak State Engineer, assumed
responsibility for its construction.

Work began in Septemebr 1913 but was delayed because the original marbles, which were imported from Italy, were
damaged in a fight between two elephants, at the site. The mosque was evenetually completed in 1917 at a cost of
$189,000 (Malayan Dollars) but sadly Sultan Idris did not live to see its completion, having passed away in 1916.

In 1993, the State Public Works Department was given the task of increasing the capacity of the mosque. This was done
by building extensions at the sides and staff rooms and wash rooms were also added at the back. It took 2 years at a cost
of RM 2.9 million. Throughout construction, all precautions were taken to pereserve the Moorish character of the
building and upon completion the mosque could accommodate 2,300 worshippers at any one time.

In 2002, His Royal Highness Sultan Azlan Shah, the 34th Ruler of Perak, instructed State Government to restore this
mosque to its rightful glory. Under the stewardship of the State Public Works Department  Director, Dato’ Ir. I Dorairajoo,
a design was prepared by the State Chief Architect, En Shamsuri bin Moahmed while the Deputy Director, was assigned
responsibility for its construction.

From the very beginning great care was taken to preserve the majesty and uniqueness of its Moorish architecture. Apart
from restoration works to the whole building, the Prayer Hall was completely refurbished, air-conditioning was installed
and its ceiling intricately reconstructed by a group of craftsmen specially commissioned form Uzbekistan. A new
concrete yard was laid around the mosque and its surroundings re-landscaped, taking care that all elements
complemented each other harmoniously. These works involved 9 different contractors and was completed in 3 months at
a cost of RM 4.8 million, just in time for His Royal Highness’ 75th birthday on the 19th April 2003. It is the fervent of every
one involved in its’ construction and rehabilitation that the beauty and grandeur of this mosque will be preserved
forever for posterity.”

Year Built: 1917
Architect: A B Hubback
Style:
Location: Bukit Chandan
Royal Mausoleum at Bukit Chandan
4. Malay College Kuala Kangsar
Big School
Prep School
Year Built: 1905
Architect:
Style:
Location:
5. Pavillion Polo Iskandar
This structure was erected in the year 1920 during the reign of
Sultan Iskandar Shah who ruled Perak from 1918 - 1938. N.E Don
B.C.D was the architect. It was built as a resting place for Sultan
Iskandar after a game of polo.

Currently, it is not being used however still continues to be a
tourist attraction to those who visit the Royal Town of Kuala
Kangsar.
18

Year Built: 1920
Architect: N.E Don B.C.D
Style:
Location: Jalan Bendahara
6. Sekolah Menengah Kebangsaan Clifford
Year Established: 1897
Architect:
Style:
Location:
7. Sekolah Menengah Raja Kalsom (Residence of Perak’s British Residen)
This building is perched on top of Changkat Residen, in the Royal town of Kuala Kangsar. In the past, this hill was
known as Bukit Cik Midah, named after the widow of Ngah Lamat who married Sultan Yusof Sharifuddin Muzaffar
Syah, the 27th Sultan of Perak (1877-1887), then married Nakhoda Terang. In 1876, the house was taken over by the
Davidson, the second British Residen. In 1905, the house was then occupied by the third Perak Residen, Hugh Low.
The first house was eventually brought down to make a new house made of stone and was known as the King
Pavillion. In 1909, the house was then dwelled by E.W Birch and R.G Watson. Both of whom were British Residens.

In 1960, the residence of the British Residen was converted into a school called Sekolah Raja Perempuan Kalsum,
named after the mother of the then Sultan of Perak, D.Y.M.M Paduka Seri Sultan Idris Al-Mutawakkil Allahi Syah,   

Year Built: 1917
Architect: A B Hubback
Style:
Location: Bukit Chandan
Home