MILWAUKEE'S HISTORIC MANSIONS AND HOUSES
4. E D Adler Residence
" One of only a few late Victorian mansions remaining on the 'Gold Coast', this eclectic designs shows
the strong influences of Queen Anne and Romanesque styling. It was designed by Milwaukee
architect, A C Clas, and built by Fred Warner. The first floor is rock-faced limestone laid random
ashlar and the second is red pressed brick, Buff sandstone and carved wood are used for trim, and
red terracotta fish scale shingles cover the gable and third floor of the tower. The roof and two
dormers are slate. Wrought iron railing, beveled plate leaded glass, and sheet metal complete the
unusually wide variety of materials used here."
13

Year Built: 1888
Architect: A C Clas
Style: Victorian (Queen Anne + Romanesque)
Location: 1681 N. Prospect Ave.
5. Edward Diedrichs Residence
" This neo-classical mansion was built by a native German, Edward Diedrichs, who came to Milwaukee
from Russia. It was designed by the distinguished pioneer architectural firm of Mygatt & Schmidtner.
A disastrous fire all but destroyed the house in 1859 and it was rebuilt 'exactly as it was'. However, it
did destroy Diedrichs, whose many investments failed, and he left town by 1863 and subsequently
died in the poorhouse in New York, In 1895, Milwaukee banker, John Johnston, added the second
story, enlarged the front porch, and put a bay on the south wall. Howland Russel was the architect,
and the alterations were done with such good taste that they all look original. "
13

Year Built: 1855
Architect: Howland Russel
Style:
Location: 1241 N. Franklin Place
Home
2. Capt. Fredrick Pabst
" Milwaukee's most important residential landmark was built at the time when Pabst became
president of the family brewery and its name was changed from Best to the Pabst Brewing Company.
Architect George Bowman Ferry (of Ferry & Clas) drew the plans for this distinguished Flemish
Renaissance mansion. Its handsomely proportioned facade, with corbie-stepped gables, is made of
pressed tan brick on a Wauwatosa limestone foundation. The strapwork ornament is executed in
matching terracotta and the red pantile roof is trimmed with copper rainwater heads and
downspouts. The conservatory on the east end of the house was originally an exhibit pavilion for
the display of Pabst Brewing Co. products (most likely at the World Columbian Exposition in Chicago,
1893). Made almost entirely of terracotta, the baroque design is ornamented  with beer steins,
barley, and hop vines and was designed by architect Otto Strack. Both inside and out, the house is
in remarkably unspoiled condition."
13

Year Built: 1890
Architect: Otto Strack
Style: Flemish Renaissance
Location: 2000 W. Wisconsin Ave.
6.Elizabeth Black Residence
" Architect Alexander C. Eschweiler, who was responsible for many Milwaukee mansions in early
English styles, drew the plans for the Black residence with more historical accuracy than usual.
Based on the Elizabethan or early English Renaissance forms, this mansion is built with red brick laid
in Flemish bond. Window casings, cornices, and quions are executed in cut limestone. Of special
interest is the carved two-storey entrance panel with its deep-relief, sculptured, doorway arch.
Copper downspouts receive rainwater through the parapet wall. "
13

Year Built: 1901
Architect: Alexander C. Eschweiler,
Style: Elizabethan
Location: 1537 N. Prospect Ave.
7. Emil H. Ott Residence
" Plans for this English Tudor mansion were drawn by A.C Clas of the firm Ferry & Clas. The finely
pointed limestone masonry was executed by Charles Gruenewaldt and the carpenter was Louis Clas.
copper gutters and downspouts, wrought bronze, leaded glass, and a red slate roof are among the
first class materials used in this well-built residence. The interior, however, is the most important
among the very finest in the city. Especially spectacular is the carved English Renaissance staircase in
a vaulted two-storey well. Emil Ott ws president of Steinmeyer's. "
13

Year Built: 1907
Architect: A.C Clas
Style: English Tudor
Location: 2127 E. Lafayette Place
9. Fred T. Goll Residence
rage reached its peak in the 1920's. It is an unusual blend of English forms in pressed brick and cut
limestone. The street facade is strongly reminiscent of Elizabethan manor houses; the south gable "
Architects Ferry & Clas created this imposing English styled mansion long before the great Tudor has
nogged timber construction and bargeboards on the edge of the roof, a richly carved board forms
the base of the triangular gable ans is supported by corbels with heads carved on them. "
13

Year Built: 1989
Architect: Ferry & Clas
Style: English Tudor
Location: 1550 N. Prospect Ave.
8. Dr Henry Harisson Button Residence
1. B.M Goldberg Residence
" This was the first house to be built on Newberry Boulevard. It is a highly unusual and creative
variation on the Victorian Gothic style and was designed by Milwaukee architects, John A. Moller
and George C. Ehlers. The pressed light tan brick rests on a limestone foundation and is trimmed
with smooth limestone and with copper and galvanised sheet metal ornament. The most uncommon
feature of the design is the cylindrical corner tower which terminates in a parapet with a pierced
Gothic railing. Set in the middle is an octagonal room with triangular gables which, graduate into a
slate covered spire."
13

Year Built: 1896
Architect: John A. Moller and George C. Ehlers
Style: Victorian Gothic
Location: 2727 E. Newberry Blvd.
3. Charles L. McIntosh Residence
" Chicago architect, H.R Wilson, drew the plans for this handsome Classic Resurgence style mansion.
McIntosh, a director of the Milwaukee Harvester Co., came here from New York via Racine, where
he bought a controlling interest in the J.I case Co. Only the finest materials were used throughout.
The basic material is Galesburg paving brock, trimmed with Michigan raindrop brown stone. Cornices
and balustrade are sheet copper and the roof is covered with tile. Four fluted Corinthian columns
support the imposing portico, and the balcony with wrought iron railing is supported on four double
brackets over the front door. Inside, the major design feature is a giant 25' by 50' music room and
dance hall in the French 18th century style. When the house was new, a newspaper article called it
a 'veritable paradise'. "
13

Year Built: 1904
Architect: H.R Wilson
Style: Classic Resurgence
Location: 1584 N. Prospect Ave.
10. Frederick Pabst, Jr Residence
" One of the first six mansions erected on Highland Blvd., this has outlived its contemporaries to
become the most important survivor on a once elegant street. Its Classic Resurgence design is
dominated by a handsome portico supported by four fluted ionic columns. Each column is made
from a single block of limestone and has the proper entasis (a slight swelling or curve in the middle).
The finely pointed yellow pressed brick is trimmed with cut and carved limestone, wrought iron,
copper, and a slate roof. Frederick Pabst Jr., became president of the Pabst Brewery, which was
founded by his father."
13

Year Built: 1897
Architect:
Style: Classic Resurgence
Location: 3112 W. Highland Blvd.
11. George J. Koch Residence
" Now a part of Concordia College, this formal, almost institutional structure was once a private The
CCB house is set on a limestone foundation and is trimmed with cut stone, cast iron and a sheet
metal cornice with balustrade. Milwaukee architect, Edward V. Koch, drew the plans which include
a skylight on the roof and a high English basement. Remodelings have concealed the original main
room which once rose to the roof and had stencilled designs in its skylight well."
13

Year Built: 1897
Architect: Edward V. Koch
Style:
Location: 3209 W. Highland Blvd.
12. George P. Miller
" One of the best preserved mansions of its style in the Midwest, this
Victorian eclectic structure was built by T.A Chapman for his daughter,
Mrs George P. Miller. Unlike most of the houses built in 19th century
Milwaukee, which followed more or less closely a Revival substyle, this is
a completely original and pure Victorian. It was built with an unusually
wide variety of the very finest materials. The first floor and porch are
pink abelman stone with a second floor of Milwaukee pressed brick. The
broad cornice consists of three bands; carved stone, small buff
terracotta tiles and sheet copper hammered into the shape of acanthus
leaves. Other materials include stained glass, wrought iron, wood, brass,
and a roof made of gray slate. The unspoiled and nearly original
condition of this residence is extremely rare."
13

Year Built: 1885
Architect:
Style: Victorian
Location: 1060 E. Juneau Ave.
13. Gustav G. Pabst Residence
" Gustav Pabst engaged the architectural firm of Ferry & Clas to draw the plans for his lake bluff
mansion. The Wisconsin Avenue residence built by his father, Captain Frederick Pabst, was designed
by the same firm. The four fluted Corinthian columns supporting the portico on its classical facade
are special. When they were first delivered, Mrs. Pabst was disappointed with their sectioned
construction and ordered new ones cut from single blocks of stone. The limestone ashlar facade is
trimmed with very costly wrought bronze grilles. Sheet copper dormers project from a green glazed
tile mansard roof."
13

Year Built: 1906
Architect: Ferry & Clas
Style:
Location: 2230 N. Terrace Ave.
14. Hawley-Bloodgood Residence
" Actually two dwellings joined by a party wall, this French Chateau-styled structure was designed by
one of Milwaukee's first formally educated architects, Howard Russel. It was inspired by the rash
chateau building in New York which began with William K. Vanderbilt's Fifth Avenue mansion in 1881.
Francis Bloodgood built the northern half, and his initial along with that of his wife's maiden name  
(Hawley), appears in a terracotta monogram above the entrance. The south half was built by Mary B.
Hawley, after whose family Hawley Road was named. 450 Gothic crockets, made of sheet metal,
ornament the gables and pinnacles."
13

Year Built: 1896
Architect: Howard Russel
Style: French Chateau
Location: 1249 N. Franklin Place & 1139 E. Knapp St.
15. Henry Harnischfeger Residence
" One of only a few mansions built in Milwaukee in this unusual German modern style. It shows
influences of the previous New Renaissance style which changed the face of Germany in the late
19th century, but there are very 'modern' touches which tend away from ornament. Built for a
co-founder of the present Harnischfeger Corporation, the house was designed by architect Eugene
Liebert. The basic materials are dark  brown pressed brick trimmed with cut limestone with a red
pan-tile roof. A cylindrical molding which is a part of the brick adds a touch of refinement around
openings. The corner bartizan is roofed with copper and sports an unusual finial. Two large knights in
armor, craved in wood, support the southeast corner porch on the second floor."
13


Year Built: 1896
Architect: Howard Russel
Style: French Chateau
Location: 1249 N. Franklin Place & 1139 E. Knapp St.
16. Jason Downer Residence
" One of Milwaukee's most historic mansions, this Victorian Gothic residence was originally begun as
a church. In 1869, Bishop Kemper officiated at the laying  of a cornerstone on this property for a
Milwaukee Episcopal cathedral. At the same time, coincidentally, the Olivet Congregational Church
had fallen into financial difficulties and was offering to sell their newly built Gothic structure for a
bargain price. The Episcopalians accepted the offer and moved into that church. Jason Downer, a
prominent early lawyer, former editor of the Milwaukee Sentinel and Judge, bought the unfinished
foundation. He made a few modifications and then built this handsome house on the original stone.
As a strong supporter of women's education, his efforts eventually led to the adoption of his name
for Milwaukee-Downer College as well as Downer Street."
13

Year Built: 1874
Architect:
Style: Victorian Gothic
Location: 1201 N. Prospect Ave.
17. John Dietrich Inbusch Residence
" This is a two and one-half story formal Italianate square residence with projecting central pavilion
and rear wing. Pressed CCB on limestone foundation trimmed with handsome wooden window casings
over moulded limestone sills. Most important feature is a 3 1/2-foot high cornice pierced with attic
windows and supported by richly carved paired brackets. The central roof block has a convex
mansard curve and once supported a cupola. It is one of the most finely proportioned Italianate
houses in the state. Inbucsh was one of three brothers who came here from Westphalia, Germany,
and built one of the Midwest's largest wholesale grocery houses."
13

Year Built: 1874
Architect:
Style: Italianate
Location: 1135 N. Cass St.
" One of Milwaukee's finest Italianate mansions, this CCB structure was finely proportioned by a long
forgotten architect. In a day when wooden details could be ordered from a catalog, at a saving, this
window brackets and porch, show the unmistakable touch of a single guiding hand. Although it once
had a handsome 3-story tower and an 'L-shaped veranda, it still retains an unusual percentage of its
original character. Button, who had practiced medicine in New York before coming here in 1848,
found that the wholesale drug business was more lucrative than the labors of a pioneer physician."
13

Year Built: 1975
Architect:
Style: Italianate
Location: 1024 E. State St.
18. John F. Kern Residence
" The first house built on Wahl Ave., the Kern mansion is said to have contained the city's first
individual room air conditioning system. Large 2 x 3 foot wooden ducts carried cool air throughout
the house where separate thermostats controlled shutters. John Kern followed his father in
operating the Eagle Flour Mill, which became one of the largest in the country. The plan for his
house, drawn by architects Crane and Barkhausen, is heavily influenced by the German New
Renaissance style. The pressed orang/brown brick is trimmed with red sandstone and wrought iron
by Cyril Colnik."
13

Year Built: 1899
Architect: Crane and Barkhausen
Style: German New Renaissance
Location: 2509 N. Wahl Ave.
19. Matthew Keenan Residence
" Milwaukee's finest remaining example of the Italianate-styled townhouse. Matthew Keenan,
politician and onetime Vice President of Northwestern Mutual Life Co., engaged the city's most
celebrated architect, Edward Townsend Mix, to design this elegant double house. Built with pressed
CCB and trimmed limestone quions and window casings, this well preserved specimen still has one of
its original mahogany staircases, a good proportion of the original ornamental plasterwork, and a few
white marble fireplace."
13

Year Built: 1860
Architect: Edward Townsend Mix
Style: Italianate
Location: 777 N. Jefferson St.
20. Otto Zielsdorf Residence
" Built for the president of the C. Hennecke Iron Works, this Classical Revival house is surfaced with
stucco and rests on a CCB foundation. It closely resembles, in basic style and proportion, the James
Sawyer and Fred Pabst Jr. houses which were built earlier in the same decade. Architects Mollerus
& Lotter used four, fluted, Ionic columns to support the portico and acanthus-leaf brackets to
support the eaves. The triangular pediment, contrary to tradition, is faced with shingles."
13

Year Built: 1899
Architect: Mollerus & Lotter
Style: Classical Revival
Location: 2931 N. Marietta Ave.
21. Robert Nunnemacher Residence
" Designed by Milwaukee architect, Alexander C. Eschweiler, this spacious mansion resembles the
country seats or manor houses of 17th century England. Working with the finest craftsmen (mason
Charles Grunewald and carpenter John Debbink) Eschweiler built the walls of red brick, trim with
Bedford limestone, roof of slate, and used wrought iron and leaded glass for decoration. When the
house was sold in 1928, it lay vacant for a while and then became the rectory for St. Mark's Episcopal
Church. Since 1962 it has been divided into apartments."
13

Year Built: 1906
Architect: Alexander C. Eschweiler
Style:
Location: 2409 N. Wahl St.
22. Robert Patrick Fitzgerald Residence
" A one-time lake captain, Fitzgerald became a wealthy shipowner and manager of a fleet of vessels.
Italian villa. The handsome proportions of this house set it apart from most of its contemporaries.
The deep wooden cornice, with its attic windows, and the broad overhang of the roof are
responsible for a great deal of the building's character. The paired brackets, which support the
overhang, are of high quality, with carved rope molding and other details. When the present owners
(the College Women's Club) added the south wing in 1965, they used original brackets and keystones
and duplicated arches in an effort to relate the new with the old in a proper manner."
13

Year Built: 1874
Architect: Edward Townsend Mix
Style:
Location: 1119 N. Marshall St.
23. Sanford Kane Residence
" Milwaukee's finest remaining example of the Queen Anne style. This building serves as a reminder of
the Kane family which once owned the whole neighborhood and after which nearby Kane Place was
named. Sanford's father, Philander, and his four brothers operated the American House Hotel in the
1850s. Then the largest hotel in the city, it stood where the Plankinton building is today until it
burned down in 1861. The Kanes later operated a mineral spring on their 40-acre property which
included this area. This is a remarkably well preserved example of a style which has many irregular
projections, and bays, gables, dormers, wood framing with carved details, and picturesque
chimneys."
13

Year Built: 1883
Architect:
Style: Queen Anne
Location: 1841 N. Prospect Ave.