TAIPING













2. 31 Jln Stesen

Year Built: 1930
Architect: Not known
Style:                                    







(click this link if you would like to contribute or comment on this building)       


3. Ancient Slab Grave from Sungai Perak


























4. Cantonese Association and Temple for the Immortal Girl























5. Cenotaph War Memorial









           

6. Ceylon Association












7. Chinese Tombs



























8. Clock Tower (Police Station)














9. District Office of Larut & Matang

















10. District Officer's Residence (Secretary to Residents House)










11. FMS Indian Association













12. Guan Hin Chan











13. Hokkien Association









14. Hua Luan Kindergarten





                 
                    





15. Juara Automobile Sdn Bhd















16. Kang Har Tong Association









               


17. Kapitan Chung Keng Kooi's Townhouse




















18. King Edward VII School
















19. Lady Treacher Girls' School
















20. Lagenda Hotel (Taiping Rest House)











21. The New Club and Golf Course













22. Ng Boo Bee Fountain












23. Old Kota Mosque














24. Old Saints Church










25. Peace Hotel











26. Peking Hotel











27. Perak Museum















28. Post and Telegraph Office












29. Railway Station










30. Sheng Huey Automobile










31. Shu-te hui-kuan











32. St Georges' Institution












33. Taiping Public Library (Chartered Bank)












34. Sunlight Muslim Association


















35. Taiping Buddhist Association                                                       











36. Church of Our Lady of the Sacred Heart










36. Taiping Convent













37.  Taiping Market














38. Taiping Prison
















39. Territorial Chief Residence












40. Tseng Lung Hakka












41. Other Houses found in Taiping








          
Year Built:
Architect:
Style:
Location:
Year Built:
Architect:
Style:
Location:
" Built in 1929, it was formerly the rubber dealer's association.
During the Japanese Occupation, it was the notorious
headquarters of the Kampetei (Japanese military police)"
3

Year Built: 1929
Architect:
Style:
Location: 2, Jln Idris
" The Perak Museum, the first in the country, was started in 1883 in the former
government offices. The building was developed in stages from 1886 to 1903. The first
curator was Leonard Wray, who built up the much admired natural history and
ethnological collections, including a section on the aboriginal peoples. Assembled in the
grounds today are a stone marking the site of Maharaja Lela's Fort and the statue of Col.
Walker."
3
Year Built: 1929
Architect:
Style:
Location: Jln Taming Sari
" Initially built of timber in 1881 " at a point about equidistant from the Chinese theatre, the market
and other much frequented places". The fortified clock tower, with chamfered slits for guns, was
probably erected some years later. The police station doubled as a firs station. The first fire
brigade in the FMS was made up of members of the Perak Armed Police and later the Malay States
Guides."
3

Year Built:
Architect:
Style:
Location: Jln Kota (Kota Road)
Year Built:
Architect:
Style: Victorian
Location: Jln Air Terjun (Waterfall Road), Lake Garden
Year Built: 1897
Architect:
Style: Dutch
Location: Jln Masjid (Mosque Road)
" The first post office in the FMS built in 1884, to replace an
earlier timber building. The post from Taiping was carried by a
relay of runners (dak) and ponies."
3

Year Built: 1884
Architect:
Style:
Location: Jln Stesen (Station Road)
Year Built: 1873
Architect:
Style: British Colonial
Location: Jln Stesen (Station Road)
Stesen (Station Road). George Peet who stayed there in 1933 remarked, " It was known as
the 'Raja Rest house' but I could find no rajas' in the guest book"."
3

Year Built: 1894
Architect:
Style:
Location: Jln Stesen (Station Road)
" The association of people from Shun-te county, Kuang-Chou prefecture, was possibly
founded in 1895 "
3

Year Built: 1895
Architect:
Style:
Location: 36 Jln Kota (Kota Road)
" The Catholic boys' school was established in 1915 and 13 years later the original building was
extended with a wing on each side. During the Japanese Occupation, the school served in turn
as Nippon-Go Gakko (Japanese school), Kempetai (Japanese military police) base and Japanese
officers' hotel."
3

Year Built: 1915
Architect:
Style:
Location: Jln Stesen (Station Road)
Year Built: 1925
Architect: Not known
Style:
Location: Jln Taming Sari (Main Road)
" This government building was once the premises of the Chartered Bank of India, Australia
and China, later known as the Standard Chartered Bank, which opened its Taiping agency in
1888. Today, it houses the public library. The predecessor of this library was "an excellent
Reading and Recreation Room for the Officers of Government" constructed in 1882."
3

Year Built: 1882
Architect:
Style:
Location: Jln Kota (Kota Road)
" The first national conference of Sahabat Pena, a pen-pal club, was held here on 11
November 1934. It was "the first pan-Malayan Malay gathering of a non-official kind ever
and Sheikh Abdullah al-Maghribi, literary figures and Kaum Muda Islamic Reformist
leaders who were later to become prominent in the Malay nationalist movement."
3

Year Built:
Architect:
Style:
Location: 212 Jln Kota (Kota Road)
Not sure about the history of this building but found it while driving around
the housing area near Jln Istana Larut.

Year Built:
Architect:
Style:
Location:
" The Taiping Market consists of two buildings, the Old Market
built in 1884 and the New Market built in1885, each one a
timber post and truss structure, "220 feet long by 60 feet wide,
concrete floor and iron roof", with a middle clerestory. Possibly
the largest non-indigenous historic timber structure in the
country, the Taiping Market is also Malaysia's best preserved
example of a major 19th century market building."
3

Year Built: 1885
Architect:
Style:
Location: Jln Chung Thye Pin
" Established in 1879, the Perak Prison was the main prison for long sentenced convicts of the FMS. It housed the Government
Printing Office, a bakery and a laundry, where the prisoners did light work. Today, it is the country's best example of a 19th
century gaol complex. It has been proposed for a prison museum."
3
Year Built: 1879
Architect:
Style:
Location: Jln Taming Sari (Main Road)
' In 1889, the first convent was started in nearby Klian Puah by three sisters from the
convent in Penang. The class and orphanage in Taiping were upgraded when the present
school building at Kota Road opened in 1938. In May 1941, the British requisitioned it for
a large military hospital but in December it was taken over by the Japanese. Towards the
endof war, the Taiping Convent became the headquarters of the Japanese military
administration, the Gun-sei Kan-bu."
3

Year Built: 1938
Architect:
Style:
Location: Jln Convent (Convent Road)
" The ancient slab grave reconstructed here was one of three discovered on Sungai Kruit
estate, Sungkai in 1927. There is a model of it in this museum as well as two of the slabs of
which it was built the only other tomb of the kind found previously (1895) was at Changkat
Menteri, Bernam River, Perak but the presence of others in the neighborhood of Slim River and
Tg. Malim has since been detected.

Objects from the Changkat Menteri grave comprise of small pieces of a bronze vessel, three
cornellian beads. A cross hatched bank cloth, beater of stones, an iron sickle shaped tool with
a small socket for shaft and many fragments of coarse pottery.
Discoveries in or around Sungkai graves include iron tool, one of which was the sickle shaped, the other of a type that has been
found at Kelang and else where and much broken pottery of coarse texture.

From the finding of many objects in and around these graves it is obvious that the builders believed that the dead must be
cared for in a future existence and it would appear likely from the large quantity of pottery fragments that the pots were killed
by breaking for the use of the souls of the dead.

No skeleton remains have been found in any graved (due no doubt to the biochemical action of the soil over hundreds of years)
and it is therefore impossible to determine their builders it is obvious however that these structural (especially the own
reconstructed here which is roofed with a single slab of stone split into three) are nearly related to the 'dolme' type of grave.

Both dolmens (recent and ancient) and stone cists are found in various parts of the archipelago and ancient dolmen was
discovered in Vietnam early in this century."
1
Currently, house is used as a second hand car dealership. House was built is 1930 as written on the front facade of the house.
(click this link if you would like to contribute
or comment on this house)
" The Kwang-tung hui-kuan, founded in 1887 by Chung Keng Kooi and others, is an association of people from Kuang-tung
(Canton) province in South China. The temple was renovated in 1948 and 1954. A pair of old stone lions still grace the forecourt.
Sharing the same compound is the Ho-hsien-ku Miaou, or Temple for Ho, the immortal Girl. One of the Eight Immortals, Ho
is believed to have been a native of Tseng-ch'eng country, Kuang-Chou prefecture."
3
Year Built: 1887
Architect: Not known
Style:
Location: Jln Tokong (Temple Road)
" The Ceylonese Tamils came to Perak in the 1880s to join the civil service and build the railways. In 1889, they founded the
Ceylonese Association and put up the building two years later."
3
Year Built: 1891
Architect: Not known
Style:
Location: Jln Stesen (Station
Road)
"A Chinese cemetery was originally located on this hillock. Two remaining tombstones,
dating from circa 1869 and belonging to members of the Chung lineage of the Hakka ethnic group are still found at
the foot of the hill facing the esplanade."
3

Year Built: circa 1869
Location: (Esplanade Road)
" This "imposing Victorian styled block of offices was opened in 1898. The Government Offices building "which is well designed and
constructed, was commenced in 1895, and provides accommodation for a Council Chamber, and Offices for the Secretariat,
Treasury, Audit, Education and Forest Departments. The estimated cost is $83,750." Today it is the premises of the Larut-Matang
District Office."
3
Year Built: 1898  Architect: Not known  Style: Victorian Location: Jln Kota
" The founder was Sheikh Nunnemeah. In 1925, his son in law, a Ceylonese Muslim named Dr. I. Md Ghows presented the building
to the association for the use of both Muslim and Hindu ethnic Indians."
3
Year Built: 1930
Architect: Not known
Style:
" This well preserved building was the
premises of a cigar factory started by a
Burmese Chinese. In the 1930s, it
employed Burmese women to roll cigars
from Moulmein tobacco. During the
Japanese occupation, it was used by
the occupying forces to store tin ore."
3
Year Built: 1925
Architect:
Style:
Location: (19 Cross Street No 4.)
21 Jln Assam Kumbang. Similar to it, this
house too is now used as a car dealer
shop
.

Year Built:
Architect:
Style:
Location: Jln Assam Kumbang

(click this link if you would like to
contribute or comment on this house)    
Another Chinese association in the heart of town.
Year Built: 1930
Architect:
Style: Art Deco
Location:
" A prominent tin miner and leader of the Taiping Hakka community. Chung Keng Kooi (1829 - 1901) was also a Kapitan China of
Sanitary Board and "all the important racing clubs".
He employed an European trainer for his prize-winning race horses and maintained his stables at 12,000 dollar a year." 3

Year Built:
Architect:
Style:
Location: Jalan Berek (Barrack Road)
" The Central School, started in 1883, was the first English school in the Malay States and house its first 1 students. Its first
headmaster was Mr R. Francis Stainer, BB (London) who served from 1900 - 1924. In order to cater for more students and their
needs, a new building was constructed in 1904 on the former site of Taiping Railway station, which was the first railway station
in the Malay states. It was renamed the King Edward VII National School when in conjunction with the coronation of England's
7th King in 1901. The angsana trees of "the most picturesque school ground in Malaya" were planted in 1910. The school excelled
in sports especially, football, rugby, hockey and athletics. During the Japanese occupation,the school was the base of the
garrison commander who converted the classrooms into torture chambers and dug up the playgrounds to grow food."
1, 3
Year Built: 1905
Architect:
Style:
Location: Jln Stesen (Station road)
" The first girls' school in the Malay States was established by the Perak Government in 1889. The methodists later took over
the school and renamed it after the British Resident's wife. Soon after the present school building was completed, the
Japanese Occupation army requisitioned it for their barracks."
3
Year Built: 1941
Architect:
Style:
Location: (Upper Museum Road)
" The New Club was founded in 1894 by the leading European community. Of its golf course, the first in the FMS, it was said in
1911, that "Through these gardens, beginning on the glacis of the fort and magazine behind the New Club, run the nine golf
links circling between the Residency and the convict establishment". "
3
Year Built: 1894
Architect:
Style:
Location: Jln Tasek (New Club road)
" The cast iron fountain, made in the "Penang Foundry", originally stood in the Taiping Market. It was donated by Ng Boo Bee,
leader of the Taiping Hokkien community, a prominent tin miner, philanthropist and a member of the Taiping Sanitary Board."
3
" The oldest mosque in Taiping, with
an intriguing six-sided facade, was
built in brick in 1897. It was originally
a Hanafi mosque used by the Indian
Muslim community of Kota. In the
early 20th century it was given over
to the malay community and called
the 'Malay Mosque' (Masjid Melayu).
" The first Anglican church in the Malay States
opened in 1886. The timber building was designed by
G.A Lefroy and the site donated by W.M Drummond,
a planter from Shanghai. In 1898, the graveyard was
already 'much besprinkled with the tombstones of
many a young man stricken down in the heyday of
youth, or British official who, after spending the
best years of his life in the service of the State, has
failed to gain his pension, and now lies buried
here....' "
3
" The house was built in the 1890s, atop a
hillock called "Jelutong Hill", from which
many of the early photographic views of
Taiping town were taken. It is presently the
District Officers' residence. The rounded
porte cochere is a typical feature of many
grand Perak houses."
3
Year Built: 1890s
Architect:
Style:
Location: (Esplanade Road)
Year Built: 1931
Architect:
Style:
Location: Jln Kota (Kota
Road)
Year Built:
Architect:
Style:
Location: Jln Assam Kumbang
" The British requisitioned the Tengku Menteri's property, and in exchange, built this house for
him in Taiping. It is now the residence of the territorial chief of Larut, Matang and Selama."
3

Year Built: 1879
Architect:
Style:
Location: Jln Taming Sari (Main Road)
" Founded around 1887, the Tseng Lung hui-kuan is the
association of people from Tseng ch'eng and Lungmen counties
of Kuang-chou prefecture in South China."
3


Year Built: 1887
Architect:
Style:
Location: Jln Pasar
Jln Istana Larut
Abandoned house at Jln Istana Larut
Year Built:
Architect:
Style:
Location: 337 Jln Kota (Kota Road)
" This association of immigrants from Fujian
province in South China was founded in the
late Ch'ng dynasty. The site was acquired in
1918 and the building was completed in 1931."
3
Home
Year Built:
Architect:
Style:
Location: Klian Pauh
Memorial to the WWI dead.
Other being the oldest mosque in Taiping,
the graves outside this mosque are among
the earliest and most historical. The most
well know graves include the grave of Ngah
Ibrahim's wife, Toh Puan Halimah bt. 1899,
the grave of Tengku Menteri Wan Mohd Isa
bin Ngah Ibrahim who passed away on 12
Nov 1923 and also of a learned man called
Sheikh Makhbuli, who is also a relative of
Long Jaafar."
1, 3